Monday, September 5, 2011

Prompt 36

Hahahahahah!!!!!  Not late this time.   The power of writing things up on Sunday.

I thought I'd give folks a little extra incentive for this prompt.  There is a Titanic (as in that rather large ocean liner from 1912) writing contest on this blog:

http://novelnovice.com/2011/09/02/fateful-by-claudia-gray-titanic-writing-contest/

And . . . for any girls between the ages of 13 and 21, Seventeen.com is giving away a $5000 prize for a 500 word short story on any subject.  That's $10 a word for the winner.  I don't think Charles Dickens was paid that much.  Details here:


 http://figment.com/contests/seventeen/

 Let us know if you've entered or are intending to enter.  We'll <3 you as often as we can.  ;)

Now for the prompt (1k-10k prose/ 333-3,333k verse):

"I know all the best places to hide.  But there are certain precautions you need to take if you don't want them to smell you."

Good Luck!





8 comments:

  1. *spits out coffee* $5000? Madeline! Start brainstorming!!

    Alright, anyways. I have some explaining to do. I have been unbelievably busy. I think I'm eight or so prompts behind.

    My plan is to focus on each current prompt, treating it as a novel. (Outlining, drafting, rewriting, editing. . . so on, and so forth.) Then after that is done, I'll quickly whip out a prompt that I never wrote.

    If I keep focusing on how behind I am, I won't get the most out of this experience. I need to grow as a novelist. I need to learn how to do more than just draft. So I'll start using these prompts to my advantage.

    So. . . off to get started on this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the prompt... Immediately, some kind of monsters come to mind, and yet...I'm thinking I won't be writing about real monsters.

    That's an awesome prize!! I think all our young'ins need to GET ON THAT RIGHT AWAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Madeline!!!! Remember, it can be on any topic, so you can always rework something you've done before. I believe Maggie Stiefvater is one of the judges and I know that she likes lyrical, character-driven writing with a playful edge. You can check out some of her stories on http://merryfates.com/

    Now to get the whips and chains out for Winter and Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whips and chains make pretty pains!

    yes that was an intentional rhyme. hey that's kind of a cool prompt...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came by to invite you to the The Rule of Three Blogfest ---a month-long extravaganza in the fictional town of Renaissance this October, with some great prizes, comment love, and of course, a lot of exposure for your writing. Check it out, and sign up if you like. I would love to have one of your stories for this blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so I posted Prompt #33 yesterday and wrote the first paragraph to #34 (which I think I need to look over again before I start writing just to make sure it makes sense). Hopefully, I can finish that by Friday and finish up #35 this weekend. This is the week I'm going to get caught up (or almost). I can feel it!

    For some reason I'm picturing one of those things that little kids put the shape blocks in...

    $5000?! 0-0 I wonder if I can cut down the story about the drowned boy and his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, I haven't even started this story!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the contest information. I'm passing on the one for young girls to my god daughter. Awesome prompt!

    ReplyDelete

Word verification is ON because this blog is closed and I hate spam, which I was getting some of. SORRY :( I do hate those captcha things with a deadly vehemence.